The city currently has paralyzed the realization of the metro, though it is projecting commuter trains to link different areas of the city.

Bogota, unlike Medellin, is in time of uncertainty regarding an urban rail transport system. In late 2015, the National Development Finance organization announced the intention to suspend the bidding process for the Metro at the same time as they finish realizing the revisions proposed by Enrique Peñalosa, mayor of Bogota. The project already was postponed at least until February 2016, year in which the decision will be taken as to which branch is constructed, as well we the starting dates. It is an underground line of 27 km long, between the station Portal de las Americas and the station Calle 127, with a total of 27 stations and workshops at the beginning of the line with an investment of 5,000 M USD. It will have an initial fleet of 47 vehicles of 6 cars, 142-145m wide and 3.2m long, with a capacity for 2,000 people. It will also count with a driverless automatic system CBTC, and initial frequencies of 2.5 minutes, expected to decrease to 1.5 min, and an initial capacity of 48,000 passengers/hour, expandable to 80,000 passengers/hour . The commercial speed is 35m/h.

Commuter rail projects

Last December were presented designs for the commuter train that will connect Bogotá with the surrounding municipalities of Facatativa and Soacha. In the first case, travel times will be reduced to only 40 minutes.

The commuter train of the Sabana (RegioTram) is a rail system that uses a lightweight electric vehicle with dual functionality: in intercity sections it acts as a commuter train with speeds up to 100 km/h. In the city it works as a tram, achieving a perfect urban integration and very competitive times to avoid modal interchanges.

The RegioTram consists of two lines, one to the west and another to the south, drawing in part of the old railway infrastructure, which includes some stations that are considered of Cultural Interest.

The West line will go through the route of the old Sabana Train. From the station Sabana, it will travel along its 40 km,  the town of Fontibon, the municipalities of Funza, Mosquera, Madrid, El Corzo and ends its journey in Facatativá. This line will also incorporate in its route a connection from the station Fontibon to El Dorado International Airport.

The other proposal, the South Corridor, departs also from the station Sabana, reaching the town of Soacha. With 18 km in length, its layout largely coincides with the old Southern Railway.

Both corridors will have a fleet of approximately 50 trains peaking frequencies of 4 and 5 minutes respectively to serve 160 million passengers a year.

It will have stations located 500 metres away in the urban areas up to 5 km in intercity sections, which have a system of high security doors with automatic synchronized with the arrival of trains. All of it controlled by a central command centre, complemented with parking and maintenance workshops.

In addition to reducing travel times, this transport will allow a reduction of 180,000 tons per year in carbon dioxide emissions, helping to improve the energy efficiency of public transport.

This ferrous system is designed for its integration with transport modes in the city of Bogota such as feeder roads and subway lines, in case the project is finally carried out.

It is expected that the rate is similar to the SITP in urban and intercity differential zone sections.

For financing, it is planned that the originator of the project covers 80 percent of the investment. Meanwhile, 20 percent will be distributed as follows: 70 percent will remain in the hands of the nation and the remaining 30 percent, by Cundinamarca. An investment of $ 1,000 million will be required.

Finally, the commuter train between Bogota and Zipaquira (BZ) will transport about 60,000 inhabitants. It is a public-private partnership (PPP) and contemplates stations in La Caro (Chia), Cajicá and Zipaquirá and a connection with TransMilenio. The project has feasibility studies which are being tested by ANI – Regional Railway Company and Transmilenio SA since last February 25th.